Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Psalm 119

Today is the 29th. That means that I read Psalm 119. Every 29th day of the month I read Psalm 119 as part of my daily Bible reading, among others. I know there are a few of you reading this blog who do the same. That is a subject for another day (Bible reading plan). Maybe New Year’s…(resolutions, anyone?)

Anyway, this psalm is long. I will admit that there was a time when I approached the 29th with, “Oh, how much time do I have this morning? This is going to take too much effort to get through.” Where’s the joy in that? My attitude certainly wasn't the one reflected in the psalm itself.

So I talked to God about it. First of all, I approached Him in shame for feeling that way toward His word. Secondly, I asked for a real and vibrant love for this passage. And you know what? God is faithful! This is one of my favorite psalms. It has become a kind of mantra for me, I guess. Not that I have attained the attitude displayed by the psalmist throughout it, but I have grown closer to it.

Vs. 9
How can a young man keep his way
pure?
By living according to Your word.

Lord, it is the prayer of my heart that I will live according to Your word, so that my sons, those young men whose ways I want to remain pure, will do likewise.

Vs. 11
I have hidden Your word in my heart
that I might not sin against You.

Lord, I want Scripture memorization and meditation to be a real part of my life.

Vs. 50
My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life.

Lord, all Your promises are answered “yes” in Christ. And my only response is “amen.”

Vs. 73
Your hands made me and formed
me;
give me understanding to learn
Your commands.

Lord, only You know me inside and out. Only in You is there any strength or ability to be what You desire me to be.

Vs. 94a
Save me, for I am Yours

Lord, this is my greatest assurance, my securest hope, my most precious promise. I am Yours!

Vs. 111
Your statutes are my heritage
forever;
they are the joy of my heart.

Lord, it is Your word from which I draw the provisions for my life.

Vs. 125
I am Your servant; give me
discernment
that I may understand Your
statutes.

Lord, I know that Your word (specifically the message of the cross) is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to the saved it is the power of God. Grant me discernment that I may grow is in Your strength, in knowledge, and in love.

v. 147
I rise before dawn and cry for
help;
I have put my hope in Your word.

Lord, may Your word be the first thing I seek in the morning; may Your praises be on my lips as I rise.

v. 176
I have strayed like a lost sheep.
Seek Your servant,
for I have not forgotten Your
commands.

But Father, what it all comes down to, is my unworthiness in the face of Your holiness. And miraculously, Your continued desire to hold me up and keep me close. I rest in this Lord, Your seeking of me.

“And when I lose my way,
You will find me,
Oh Lord, my Savior and my God.”
(from "Lord, You Are Greater than My Heart," words and music by
Johnathan Vest)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home