Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Friday, January 13, 2006

Friendship

Here’s a thought. And it may not be supportable from Scripture, but I’m going to throw it out there anyway.

I’ve been looking at the life of the apostle John. Many times in the Gospels, his name is linked with Peter’s. Apparently, they were friends before they met Christ. They seemed to be in the fishing business together. They often accompanied Christ on various trips, sometimes also with James (John’s older brother…or at least there’s some evidence to support the idea that James was older). Christ sent John and Peter to make ready the last Passover meal. These two were the ones to run to the tomb after they heard about the resurrection.

In the book of Acts, we see Peter and John being sent to Samaria together. (Which is another interesting diversion in itself).

Then we come to Acts 12. James is killed by Herod. And Peter is imprisoned. Can you imagine John’s emotional state at this point? His brother is dead and his best friend is facing the same fate. John was a flesh and blood person. Yes, he was an apostle. Yes, he had an intimate relationship with the risen Lord. But he still knew pain and sorrow. He still felt loss. I can’t imagine how difficult this particular day must have been for him.

We believe that John was the only apostle not martyred. He lived to be an old man. He outlived all the rest. In some ways this must have been very lonely for him.

Peter survived this attempt on his life. God intervened. I know that God alone knows the reasons He had for this. He had plans for Peter. Peter continued to be a powerhouse for the early church.

But what about this? I think that maybe part of the reason God saved Peter from death in Acts 12 was because of John. I think maybe God knew John needed his friend.

Like I said, I have no Scriptural basis for that….it is solely my imagination. But I do know this. God loved this man, the son of Zebedee. Would He have spared John’s friend as He worked out His purposes on this planet is it pleased Him to do so?

What I know of the nature of God leads me to think that He would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home