Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Living Missionally

I've been thinking about my life here in Tennessee. I have a great church, great work (both volunteer and paid), and a great family. But there's something that seems to be missing.

I don't mean I'm feeling unfulfilled or anything like that. I'm just looking over my day and my interactions. It seems that much of what I do revolves around fellow Christians. Much of my time is spent with people I worship with regularly, or with others from different faith backgrounds and places. There's fellowship and discipleship, encouragement and support. And all that is very good. But where are the non-believers?

How does one live missionally? Especially in the South? Most people here claim some kind of faith. Some are spiritual giants and I am so thankful that God has brought them into my life. There are others whose faith is very underdeveloped. But at any rate, churches generally are full on Sunday mornings. Going out into the highways and byways sharing your faith, gets you the response, "Oh yes, I know Jesus. He's a great friend of mine. I've got my name on a pew and I try to find some spare change to put in the collection tray every Sunday. I'm not nearly as mean as my neighbor, so hopefully my ongoing little indiscretion with the his wife won't keep me out of heaven."

What's the mission? To bring Christ to a people who don't know Him? But they already claim to. As they live in fear of death because they're just not sure they've been "good enough." Or to try to grow in faith and obedience along with these around me?

I'm just thinking aloud. I'm in an odd place. And I'm not quite sure how to move forward. But maybe it's not about me moving forward anyway. Maybe it's more about me looking to Christ and following His steps. Maybe I'll leave the moving forward to Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home