Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My Tennessee Mothers

Do you ever wonder why God has plopped you where you're plopped? Sometimes we know right away, sometimes years later, sometimes not at all. There are also those times when we think we know, only to be totally clueless in reality. It is sufficient that God knows.

Having said that, I am thoroughly enjoying the new things about this move. I have blogged before about one major difference in my stateside churches. That is, the presence of white hair. In California, I had that. It wasn't for the first time I guess, but it was such a noticeable difference between California and Germany, that it caught my attention. Also, I was more willing to listen to the wisdom of my elders at that point.

Last night I went to a dinner with women from the church here. It was at the home of one of the members. It was a beautiful home. In the midst of tasteful home furnishings I learned a little bit about this woman's life. None of us, regardless of wealth or lack of it, get through life unscathed.

The most interesting thing to me, was in this group of 30 some women, I, at 46, was the youngest. By a long shot. I felt like such a little girl. Several of these women I think have already adopted me in a way, and surprisingly, it is a very comforting feeling.

For the first time in a long time, I've felt out of my league. Many of these women have been Christians for longer than I've been alive. Despite hardships and suffering, they've walked faithfully. Etched in the weathered skin is the likeness of their Lord. And the joy I wrote about yesterday is reflected in their eyes.

As we sat around the dinner table, they talked about various things. Corn light bread. What is that? What makes it different from regular cornbread? And is that how you even spell it? Or is it lite bread?

They talked about their mothers and their grandmothers. Many of these women were in the 80s. As I listened I realized I was listening to living history. These were stories that go back into the 1800s (their mothers' stories, that is). What a blessing the night was.

I have a tendency to think I'm special in God's eyes. I feel that sometimes He does things just for me. Whether that last sentence is true or not, I do know that He loves me. So I think part of the reason I'm in Tennessee may just be that these women have some things to teach me. I've prayed many times for a teachable heart. May that be the case here.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kaye,

    First - glad you are back.

    Second - you have a gift with words. I am in a spot right now with many of the types of Mom's you write about. I've seen the same thing and been humbled to be the "young kid" again. LOL

    Welcome to be cyber land.

    De'Etta (switched to beta and can't comment as De'Etta for a bit of time I guess)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home