Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Monday, April 10, 2006

Our Move

Moving days. You forget how trying they can be. Three households in my family have moved in the last two weeks. We were in the midst of two of them. Add to that a bout of the flu for this little parcel of Pacific Grove, and you've got some exhausted people. My turn with the bug hasn't happened and I'm praying it stays that way. I think we all need to get well.

When we were leaving Germany, a friend came over for dinner. He looked around our house and said, "Do you have to personally move all this stuff?" Cockily, I responded, "No, no, no. The Army does all that. I just have to supervise."

A better response would have been, "No, thank God. His provision for our life is good and I'm grateful for it."

God has a way of dealing with an ungrateful heart. Or that cocky spirit. Or whatever you want to call it. Because two months after arriving here, I was in the middle of not one household move, but two. And there was no team of professional movers to "supervise." We did hire a couple of men for two hours with each move to get the heaviest of the heavy, by that was it.

I had posted previously that I wanted the "gentle nudges" from God because it seems that I'm frequently getting those smacks upside the head. Maybe He has been giving me the gentle nudges and I'm too loud and dense to get them. But at any rate, God is patient even if I'm not. And He's still working on me.

So...a short list of things I'm grateful for through this move:

1) Many willing hands. My sister-in-law, God bless her, worked so hard on two houses that weren't even hers, although her own household shipment came in at the same time. My nieces were incredible. My nephews. My brother. My boys. And of course, my sister and my parents.

2) A 16 year old son. It's amazing how strong boys get when they grow up. He's not yet a man, but he sure can tackle the heavy stuff much better than I.

3) A place to live. And this is where I am especially thankful to my parents and sister. Their willingness to make room for us while we wait for our next assignment is so very appreciated.

4) Good health. As I watch almost everyone around fall victim to this bug, I really do thank God for sparing me so far. And if it catches up with me, I am thankful that at least the hard part of moving is past.

Those of you with moves of your own coming up, (Sue, Alex, others) you're in my prayers. I love you and want to remind you to be grateful in the midst of all the mess.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you, for that reminder Kaye! I don't want to move at all, but have realized lately that with my attitude I'm being ungrateful to God. He has already provided me with a job at our next destination. That is one of the many things I'm reminded to be grateful for.

    Alex

     
  • At 4:31 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    I have been overwhelmed with all the moving stuff. Our house sale paperwork is done - will go on the market next week. Things have fallen into place to get the dog to Germany BEFORE the summer heat of Florida. We have passports and plane reservations to Germany - still waiting for hte actual orders so we can make the HHG appts. I try to stay grateful during these moves - thanking God that I have stuff to be moved, thanking God I have a place to move to, thanking God that my dh has a job..... and then there are times I turn to despair and fret....

    Renee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home