Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Divine Hours

I read the book The Sacred Way, by Tony Jones a while back. It was really an interesting book; I was fascinated with many of his thoughts, disagreed with some. But that's a review for another day. I want to say something about a book that he recommended and I have incorporated into my life. That book is called The Divine Hours by Phyllis Tickle.

The author describes her book as a manual for prayer. Specifically for the contemporary exercise of fixed-hour prayer. Basically it is prayers for every day, for 4 different times of the day. Many of the prayers are from the psalms. Some are from the prophets. Some of them are Christian hymns. Some are prayers of Christians through the ages. There is also a daily reading that isn't necessarily prayer.

I know that some people feel uncomfortable with fixed-hour prayer, or the use of liturgical prayers. Some believe that prayer should be more personal. But I have always loved praying the psalms...God gave us these petitions, surely they are pleasing to Him. And I have found that trying to adjust my life to this awareness of prayer has kept my heart more focused on God throughout the day.

Fixed-hour doesn't necessarily mean that that at 12:00 I drop everything I'm doing and find a closet. The prayer times are when you awake, sometime between 11:00am and 2:00pm, again between 5:00pm and 8:00pm, and finally before going to bed. The words are personal in spite of being used through the ages by Christians around the world,and I also add my own concerns and requests.

Here's a small section of the prayer from yesterday (5:00-8:00pm) that specifically touched my heart:

"Make me an instrument of your salvation for the people entrusted to my care, and grant that by my life and teaching I may set forth your true and living Word."

How truly that is the desire of my heart.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Renee said…

    Catholic priests use this style of prayer... at our parish our priests pray Morning Prayer with the congregation prior to morning Mass....

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Kaye said…

    Renee,
    So many of the Catholic practices are rich and invaluable. We of other faith backgrounds have missed out by ignoring parts of our own Christian heritage.

     
  • At 4:54 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    Kaye,
    Totally off topic but I wanted to be sure you got the question. Do you know anyone in Garmisch that loves dogs and would be able and willing to dogsit for about 6 or 7 weeks?
    Because we fly out of FL in late June, it is going to be too hot for Lola to fly with us. But now it looks like Scott might be going TDY to Garmisch in early May and he could take the dog with him then but we need a home for her until we get there in later June.
    Lola is a lab mix, 60lbs, crate trained, great with kids. Give a holler if you have any ideas...
    thanks.
    ReneeSuz82@msn.com

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Kaye said…

    Renee,
    If we were still there, I'd say my boys. They were the resdient dog sitters for Garmisch.
    Email Michelle. Her kids like to do that too. If they can't she'd be the one to ask anyone. She is the answer lady for sure!

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    THanks Kaye. AFter I posted here I found Michelle's email and asked her. She has offered to watch the dog and she knows another family that could help while they are away. THanks again

     

Post a Comment

<< Home