Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Friday, December 30, 2005

American Idol

Before I get into the subject of this post, I want to clarify something. The things I write about, the topics I choose, are generally driven by weaknesses in my own life. They are issues I’ve struggled with, and more frequently than not, am still struggling with. (I know I’m ending way too many sentences with prepositions…please overlook this!) So, if you read something here and think to yourself, “I can’t believe that she’s airing my dirty laundry all over the internet,” rest assured. It’s not your laundry, it’s mine.

Having said that….what is the new American idol? Gingerly I put this out…family.

Is family a bad thing? No, of course not. Is a desire to make your family a priority in your life wrong? No, no, no. If more people did this, we, as a society, would have fewer problems. But this is the question. Can family be the number one priority in my life? And here I’m speaking as a Christian. If anything, other than God, is the number one priority in my life, then it is an idol. Plain and simple.

Self speaks…”But I am putting God first. He wants me to love and cherish my family. After all, my family is a gift from God.” This may all be true. But does He really want me to buy the latest Xbox for my teenager while families in Poland don’t have jackets or gloves? (These aren’t even vague, unknown strangers. These are people I have met, unloading boxes of donations we took to the Elim Center….an awesome mission, by the way.) Does He really want me to spend a small fortune on a holiday dinner for my family, while there’s a young man working at the PX who has no one to spend Christmas with? Is my Christianity that myopic?

Family centered life. Sounds good. Unless you’re one of those without one. Then I think you’re only more aware of your loneliness. (Take heart though; in reality, it’s you Christ came for.)

I think this was part of the problem with the hoopla over church closings on Christmas this year. I know this is a touchy area, and again, I’m stepping gingerly. For a church to close her doors on the day the world acknowledges the coming of her Lord into the world in human form…well, I think it sends a sad message. Family time is so important. But how can it be more important than worship time? We may be filled with righteous indignation over the term “Happy Holidays’ replacing “Merry Christmas,” but as the world looks at our closed doors, do they not think anything other than “hypocrite?”

“And wherever they went among the nations they profaned My Holy Name, for it was said of them, “These are the Lords’ people, and yet they had to leave this land.” I had concern for My Holy Name, which the house of Israel profaned among the nations where they had gone.” (Ezekiel 36:20-21)

Lord, have mercy.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are all guilty at times of placing our families over God. Thank you for putting it in writing. God forgive us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home