Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Friday, November 24, 2006

Envy

Of whom are you envious? What is your weak area? Or are you an envy free person? I used to think that envy wasn't necessarily one of my major faults. Isn't that funny? Because the way I see it now, envy has a nasty way of creeping up into the best of lives. And mine is far from best.

Here's one of mine that I recently identified. I traveled to North Carolina a few weeks ago to see friends. (2 sets of friends actually.) One of the couples lives in a sub-division. It's a gorgeous place. I'm not speaking gorgeous like Ron and I could never afford gorgeous. Most of the houses are fairly modest, attractive homes. What I loved was the location. It was built on soft rolling hills, nestled in among the trees, away from the bustle of excessive traffic.

I'm a walker. I love to hike, but even more, I love to be able to step outside my door and just start walking. I don't want to have to drive 30 minutes to get to a nice place to walk. This sub-division my friends live in has everything that I like for walking. I love the exercise that hills provide. I love the wildlife that live among the trees. I love the changing colors of autumn and the beauty of new birth in spring. I was envious of this place.

Back home, walking my neighborhood, I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be nice to have a place like theirs."

I love God. I love that He will sometimes prick my heart so quickly when ugly things overflow from the recesses there. I thought immediately of the people in my little sub-division. I don't know many of them very well yet, but I pray for each family as I pass by the houses in the mornings. I thought about the lessons God has gently been teaching me during my walks in this little not quite as beautiful clump of real estate. I was ashamed of my discontent. And grateful for the 2 1/2 loops I make to get my 2 miles of exercise. And for the work that God has given me here, whatever that may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home