Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Monterey

Yesterday I was driving away from Pebble Beach. As I came over a hill, Monterey Bay spread out before me. It's a beautiful view and I looked on with mixed feelings. Monterey holds memories for me. I met my husband here. My parents and sister now live here, so it's a place to come back to. It's a place where I am always welcomed and loved. It's so good to be here.

Not all my memories are good, however. Some of my most "far away from God" moments were lived out in this place. So when the beauty spread out in front of me, it was partially marred by the pain of disobedience.

I read a blog this morning that mentioned a "prayer of remembrance." The author talked about looking back over our lives and recognizing God's providential care. I think that includes seeing the places where we've been that weren't so lovely. Even though this area is physically lovely, I wasn't. To know that God has blessed me each step of the way, in spite of rejection on my part, fills me with gratitude and humility.

Something this place has taught me is that God provides encouragement and growth opportunities in some of the most unlikely, seemingly imperfect places. There is a very small church in Marina. We go there with my mom whenever we come back here. A few years ago that little church served as a sort of oasis for me when my lack of faith left me desperately needing something to hold on to. I will be forever grateful to the people there, especially the women.

Also, this place reminds me that God is in control. Before we moved to Germany, the US Army insisted that we could not accompany my husband there. Surprisingly (or not) God had other plans. As it turned out we were there for over 3 years, which was more than twice as long as it was supposed to be. During that time, my children flourished and God did so much work on and in my own life. Now we are in this place again, by means that are so bizarre that only God's hand makes sense (paid for by the US Army). Not only that, the the Coast Guard is getting ready to send my brother and his family here as well. God's timing never ceases to amaze me.

I just want to my heart to be sensitive to the direction He has for us here. I want His purposes to be mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home