Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Psalm 37

Recently someone commented on my blog about Psalm 37. It is a favorite of mine as well, and I appreciate the reminder. I read it again this morning and I wanted to share a few thoughts.

Before I do that, I have to admit I'm plagiarizing. Those of you who know Chaplain Benzing may remember this from one of his sermons. I made notations in my Bible the morning he preached on it. Now every time I read this psalm, I think of him. And I thank God for the mentors He has placed in my life.

This reading condenses the whole of our relationship with God to a few verses. They are simple, but their simplicity leads to a lifelong satisfaction in God's presence. If we can make these words the song of our hearts, what a difference it would make in our lives.

verse 3
"Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture."

Do I trust God? Do I really believe He controls not only the future, but MY future?

verse 4
"Delight yourself in the LORD
and He will give you the desires of your heart."

What a promise that is! Of course, once I have learned to delight myself in God and enjoy the things He enjoys, the desires of my heart will probably look a little different.

verse 5
"Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in Him and He will do this:
He will make your righteousness
shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the
noonday sun."

That committing is the thing. It's a daily conscious effort on my part. Each step I take, I take with the knowledge of who I am and whose I am and at what cost I was given daughtership.

Be still before the LORD and wait
patiently for Him;
do not fret when men succeed in
their ways,
when they carry out their wicked
schemes."

We looked at that thought the other day...the being still. Relax and let go of the striving, the struggling; rest in assurance. Be diligent and obedient, but all the time remember that God is in control.

There it is:

Trust
Delight
Commit
Rest

Does that not say it all?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home