Kaye's Tea Room

"Follow Me," Jesus said to him...Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. (Luke 5:27, 29) WELCOME, fellow desperados.....

Friday, February 03, 2006

Praise

Isn't singing one of the greatest gifts God's given us? Of course, I wish I did it better (as do the people around me), but I love it none the less. It's thrilling to me to know that as much as I enjoy it, God is pleased with my "joyful noise" as well.

The church has such a great legacy of spiritual hymns and songs. And much of contemporary praise music is inspiring as well. I know there are battles fought over which is better and which we should use in our worship services. I have my own preferences about music, but pretty much that's just what they are...preferences.

I do have this comment to make. Sometimes during worship, we sing songs about our Christian journey. Sometimes we sing ballad like songs about longing for heaven. Sometimes we sing songs of encouragement to one another. All of these categories have a place in our time together.

But I think as we meet to worship the One Who is Worthy of Glory, Honor and Praise, some of what is proclaimed from our mouths has to be adoration for our King. How can we offer anything less?

Yes, someday I'll fly away. No, this world is not my home. Yes, the tie that binds is blessed. Yes, Jordan's banks are indeed stormy. And yes, the road I've traveled down is lonely and often times no one seems to care. But at the end of the day, I have to stand in awe. I have to proclaim Holy, Holy, Holy, because in the presence of the Merciful and Mighty even seraphim and cherubim bow down.

According the the Westminster Shorter Catechism, the primary purpose of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. I believe this. My heart feels it. Are there not times when every fiber of your being just wants to sing hosannas to the King? We were made for this. Besides, if we fail, the very rocks will sing out.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is perhaps one of your best "blogs". I love the use of the song words in the writing. And yes, you are correct. We need to stand in awe of Him and praise Him, praise Him, Jesus our blessed Redeemer and know that He is an awesome God.

    I don't think it is necessary to sing songs that praise and glorify God in words in every service. When we sing all the songs, we should be glorifying Him in our hearts.

     
  • At 10:36 PM, Blogger Kaye said…

    Thanks for the encouraging words!

    grandmamon said:
    "I don't think it is necessary to sing songs that praise and glorify God in words in every service. When we sing all the songs, we should be glorifying Him in our hearts."

    My only question would be, what is the primary purpose of worship? Is it not to praise God? Then why would we not praise Him in words? How can we go through an entire service and not have the words "praise God," or something similar, flow from our lips? Can we truly glorify God in our hearts, if that message is not proclaimed aloud at some point somewhere?

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger Renee said…

    I thought of this blog entry at Mass this morning. So many of the hymns are mediocre at best (imo)... but today we sang How Great Thou Art for our closing hymn... I thought of you and praising God and belted out the hymn despite my less than angelic voice

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger Kaye said…

    Renee,
    Thanks for your comment.

    We sang Holy, Holy, Holy this morning. I was so thankful to the song leader. I know that worship is not all about me, but I felt so much closer to God singing praise to His name.

    Kaye

     

Post a Comment

<< Home